Sunday, November 14, 2010

Strength Training for Weight Loss

In 1993, I was at U-Mass/Boston finishing my bachelors of science in Exercise Physiology. In one of my classes, I was required to write a review of literature on a topic of my choice. I was passionate about strength training and it's effect on weight loss. My professor at the time believed cardiovascular (aerobic) exercise (in conjunction with a sound diet) was superior. I proceeded to write the paper and even submitted it to William Kraemer, editor-in-chief of The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research journal. Unfortunately, it didn't get published (although I do have it on my website, see article link).

The following link is an article that appeared in USA Weekend on 11/14/10. The article promotes strength training NOT CARDIO for weight loss. Although I believe this to be true, dietary intervention is the  key to inducing weight loss. 

http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20101112/HEALTH03/11140304/0/HEALTH02/Is-your-exercise-routine-in-a-cardio-trap

No comments:

Post a Comment