Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Learn More About the SFMA and FMS (Gray Cook & Kyle Kiesel)


As I announced in a previous blog, Gray Cook, Greg Rose, Kyle Kiesel and Milo Bryant have just published a book entitled, "Movement". Excellent book, but some health professionals  (including myself) may need  additional info prior to reading it. I came across the below video on Gray's website. I don't know how long it has been there, nor do I know how long it will stay there. The content that is there is valuable. Anyone interested in going to the next level in screening, testing, and assessment, Gray Cook is the man to take you there. He is truly a  "TRAIL BLAZER" in his field. He is challenging the way trainers and rehabilitation professionals screen, test and assess individuals to predict potential dysfunctional movement patterns and/or pain prior to exercise.

I love what he says near the end of the video regarding core training and his research. Currently, we tend to perform core exercises to improve a core stability problem. What he's saying, if I understand him correctly, remove the dysfunctional pattern instead of doing specific core exercises. In other words, you'll get more core function by removing your most dysfunctional pattern than by specifically working on your core.


Not that Gray is competing with the NASM, but he definitely goes beyond the educational level required to successfully pass the Personal Training Certification. I will not venture to say that he goes beyond the CES and PES educational requirements, as I haven't been exposed to those tracks.

Here is the link:
http://www.functionalmovement.com/SITE/clinicians/keynoteaddress.php

No comments:

Post a Comment